Monday, September 3, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent! $20 for a year supply!

 I found a recipe for homemade laundry detergent and I had to try it!
We are a Tide house- and that is NOT cheap. Considering I do about 5 loads a week, those  boxes of Tide do not last long around here. 
So I figured I would try this and if I hate it- I am only out $20, and if I love it- I will save myself a LOT of money!



You will need

1 bottle of Purex Crystals
1 box of 20 mule borax
1 box of Washing Soda
 (not to confuse with baking soda!)
2 bars of Fels Naptha Soap  
Small tub of Oxi-Clean or the 'Sun' oxi clean

 I have seen many methods on how to incorporate the bar soap. Some people use a cheese grater or food processor. I first cut up my bars of soap into small pieces and then put it in the food processor to make a powder.

After you have your soap turned to poweder, or small shreds, you are ready to mix it all up!

Grab a BIG bucket-we used a 5gal bucket from walmart. Now, all you do is pour all your ingredients in the bucket and mix them up. My bucket had a top so I had my hubby shake it up really good.  I filled up the empty Purex bottle I had, and still have a ton still in the bucket!

Since this only takes 2 tablespoons per load, this is going to last my family a LONG time!! 

The cap of the Purex bottle has 3 lines on the inside. the middle line is exactly 2 tbs- so easy measuring! 


 
Some Sidenotes
* This recipe is SAFE for HE Washing Machines! 

*This WILL dissolve even in cold water! 

*You can add this detergent to the dispenser or directly to the tube. 

* You can substitute the with Zote Laundry Bar Soap too (It is scented, and I have fairly sensitive skin, so I tried to limit the scents!) 

*No additional fabric softener needed! 

* I have heard the Gain Fabric Softener Crystals work well and smell great too!



0 comments:

Post a Comment